CLICK HERE to sign the petition
Westminster’s Churchill Ward Labour Councillors and Steven Saxby, Labour Parliamentary Candidate, are strongly opposed to Wandsworth Council’s proposed plans for a Nine Elms to Pimlico bridge.
Wandsworth Council’s ‘preferred option’ for the bridge puts its north-side landing point right by Churchill Gardens Estate in Pimlico.
We oppose these bridge proposals for the following reasons:
– Loss of our precious green space. This proposed project will threaten precious green space, riverfront views, playgrounds and other community spaces in this area.
– Long-term disruption and pollution – and the risk of further development. Building works will cause disruption, pollution and intrusion.
– Churchill Gardens Estate will become a through-route for thousands of pedestrians and cyclists travelling to and from the bridge through the estate. And yet the residents on the estate have not been consulted on these plans.
– Pedestrians and cyclists will be forced on to a busy main road. The current proposal brings pedestrians and cyclists directly on to Grosvenor Road, a heavily used route for cars and buses.
– We are already well-served for crossings over this part of the Thames. Vauxhall Bridge, Lambeth Bridge, Westminster Bridges, Chelsea Bridge, Albert Bridge and Battersea Bridge already link the north and south sides of the river in our area.
– The costs of such a decision would be immediately damaging. The estimated cost of the bridge is currently £40 million. This public money could be much better spent elsewhere – where it is needed most, including on social housing and council services.
It is unacceptable that Wandsworth Council continues to push for this bridge, despite opposition from people on both sides of the river and across the political spectrum – including the Mayor of London and London Assembly Members.
We also call on Westminster City Council to reject this proposal – and call for Nickie Aiken, the Leader of Westminster City Council, to issue an unequivocal statement to this effect, in order to ensure that this expensive, unwanted folly doesn’t take place.
PLEASE SIGN OUR PETITION against Wandsworth Council’s proposals, and show your opposition for this exploitation of the places where we LIVE, not just exist.
Cllr Shamim Talukder, Cllr Andrea Mann and Steven Saxby (Labour Parliamentary Candidate)